Letgo is one of the most successful classifieds apps on the second-hand marketplace. Being one of the fresh startups, for now, it has already mediated transactions costing $23 billion in total! Downloaded by 45 million users, mediating transactions for $5 million minimum weekly, it has grabbed the serious market share from Craigslist and eBay, which means that the startup has good chances to beat these old players on the classifieds’ e-commerce market.
But the main thing is that this app is outstanding in the easiness of the customer experience, intuitive of the user interface, provides really easy sales, and with this all gains the outstanding popularity among the customers from different countries. And this is why many entrepreneurs, thinking about how they can too repeat the success of the Letgo application and build an app like Letgo.
How Letgo works
Letgo works like a mobile classified, where people can buy and sell stuff, quickly and easily. It’s aimed at people looking to buy and sell locally.
They currently operate in different countries but the strongest market, for now, is the United States of America and Canada.
Selling an item through Letgo is super simple.
Through the application inbuilt camera feature, you can snap photos or choose them from the gallery, list items to sell and chat with potential buyers. Once the snap is taken It takes seconds to post an item for sale, and the app gives you the ability to chat with potential buyers instantly.
Download the app on your phone. You can get it for Android and iOS devices, handily enough.
Register for an account with Letgo. All you need to do to sign up is enter a valid email address, create a password and ad a photo.
Now, you’ve got your account and you’re ready to buy and sell!
Features of the app like Letgo
Many young entrepreneurs might be interested in how to build an app like Letgo. First of all, it should be cleared up, what features of the application made it successful. Letgo is recognized, first of all, thanks to its functions and their easiness in use:
- Registration: It is extremely easy to register in this project: you can use either your e-mail address or your Facebook account. Simply download the app from the Play Market and choose one of the options.
- Selling: The application brings you to this menu just after the registration. Using this function is outstandingly easy, which allowed the app to be unique. The ‘selling’ function is about the screen with a camera, with the help of which you simply take a photo of the product you’re going to sell. The Letgo system has the AI mechanism, which recognizes your product by its photo and the category it belongs to automatically and automatically puts it there.
- Buying: When you enter the name of the product you wish to buy in the search bar, the app automatically shows the items near your location. You can filter the products by posting date, category or location as you want. Then, after clicking on the photo, you can see the product description and click the chat button, whereafter you can have an online conversation with the seller.
- Geotagging: The Letgo application differs from its competitors with the localization of its market. Of course, the user can specify the region he searches the product in, but first of all, the app searches for the offers available nearby and then goes for other places to search.
- Built-in chats: Right from the phone, without having to call, users can discuss all the details about the deal. Of course, such a feature makes the user experience a lot easier.
- Integration with Facebook: With this feature, the registration process is very easy. Also, this feature adds the opportunity to share one’s classifieds with friends on Facebook.
Business model to create an app like Letgo
These selling applications like LetGo don’t charge the commission for registration, profile creation, and not even for the number of ads. More than that, they don’t take a commission for a deal.
Delivery Charges: Delivery can be a mediation between the two parties, where a delivery person needs to appoint for picking the product and delivering at the respective place. This will future generate revenue.
Online Transactions: the payment for the product which the buyer is buying can be made over the app which helps in gaining some amount of revenue. For this, the app developer needs to integrate the app with the third party payment gateways.
Advertisements: sellers who want to include some special offers can present it to the users via ads in the ‘System Recommendations’ section.
Tech stack to build a buy and sell app Let’s define what tools and third-party services our development team may use to create mobile buy and sell apps.
- Server-side development: Express.js, Node.js.
- Frameworks: Angular.js, Backbone.js, React.js
- Languages: Swift/Objective-C (iOS apps), Kotlin/Java (Android apps)
- Database: MongoDB, MySQL
- Cloud architecture: AWS
- Payment integration: Braintree, Stripe
- Web server: Nginx
- Other tools for monitoring, hosting, etc: AWS S3, Confluence, Swagger, MailChimp, PostgreSQL
Of course, these tools are not the only ones we can use for the development of your buy and sell app, tech stack for your project will be selected according to specific requirements and particularities of the project.
Development Cost to Create an App like Letgo
To answer the questions above is important also because the development of such applications requires serious investments of time and money. Speaking about the time expenses, to develop an app for one platform (iOS or Android) will require from 150 to 340 hrs. Speaking about the price for the product development, – it depends on the level of the developers’ professionalism and their country of origination. Hourly rate of a developer from the US is between $100 and $250, while a senior developer from Eastern Europe takes from $40 and $70 per hour.